The main goal of this project is to improve environmental security in marine and coastal waters in the Gulf of Riga and Irbe Strait by strengthening coordination between Latvian and Estonian rescue services and infrastructure managers (ports, small harbours, local governments).
01.05.2017 – 31.12.2018
587 815,20 EUR, including. 465 642,92 EUR ERDF
Kurzeme planning region
- State Fire and Rescue Service of Latvia (VUGD)
- Estonian Rescue Board (ERB)
- Small Harbour Development Centre
- Roja County municipality
- Engure County municipality
- Salacgrīva County municipality
- Ventspils County municipality
1. Acquisition of equipment for the VUGD and ERB so that they can localize the oil spill in the project territory within a reasonable time. The VUGD purchased equipment will be stored in 6 divisions – Salacgrīva, Saulkrasti, Jaunciems, Sloka, Dundaga, Roja. ERB equipment will be located in three ERB units and 2 ports – Kuressaare, Kuhelkonna, Orissaare, Kuivastu and Mõntu.
2. Building and preparation of 4 access roads (driveways) to the beach in Latvia – Roja County Municipality, Ventspils County Municipality, Engure County Municipality and Salacgrīva County Municipality.
3. Elaboration of common Standard Operational Procedure (SOP) and training materials to improve cross-border collaboration between rescue services.
4. Two international joint trainings (1 in Latvia and 1 in Estonia) with partner organizations (coast guards, police, border guards, environmental agencies, harbors) and Oil spill clean-up theoretical training’s in Estonia.
5. Awareness raising campaign for Local Governments, volunteers and coastal inhabitants, media coverage about environmental pollution, protection, risk and crisis communication.
The above reflects author’s views and the Managing Authority of Estonia-Latvia Programme is not liable for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.
Phone +371 26043231